The Botswana Football Association (BFA) is set to crack the whip following an investigation into an abandoned match which saw scores of disappointed supporters leaving the Obed Chilume stadium in the last minutes of a scheduled BTC premiership match last year.
The Sunday Standard investigations can reveal that the predicament followed ignorance from the Botswana Premier League (BPL) office leading to unforeseen expenses draining clubs for the aborted match.
Sources close to the matter indicate that investigations into the matter have been wrapped up and suspension of the BPL acting chief executive officer (CEO) Joseph Moakofi, who also is the BPL security and logistics officer, looms.
It is alleged that the BPL office was made aware of the unavailability of the ground through writing and verbal communication from the ground authorities ahead of the scheduled match.
While aware of the predicament, it is said that the BPL office ignored the threat and downplayed the matter leading to teams leaving the ground frustrated due to the cancelled fixture.
It has emerged that on match day, the stadium was booked for special Olympics programs. While it is alleged that Tafic being the home team continuously engaged the BPL office on the ground unavailability, the premier league assured that all was in their control with hope that the game will continue as planned.
However, clubs were confused when reaching the stadium only to find the ground unmarked with heavy grass not suitable for playing on the day followed by the cancellation of the match.
“The BFA top brass will soon release the verdict of the matter with stiff measures that may witness suspension of some officers. It is a matter that has not gone down well with club officials as they contend that they have acquired travel expenses and logistics of preparing for the match as Galaxy travelled as far as Jwaneng for the match. With the match rescheduled for a date yet to be set, clubs are expected to dig down their pockets again for the fixture. As it stands the BPL is financially struggling and challenged to reimburse clubs for their preparation expenses,” a source revealed to Sunday Standard.
Speaking to the BFA CEO Mfolo Mfolo remained cagey on the matter saying it is still internal despite concluding the investigations.
“We cannot reveal anything at the moment but investigations on the matter have been concluded. I can only say that going forward we need to be pro active on matters of fixturing and release information well in time to avoid unnecessary expenditure. We really sympathize with clubs following their expenses but the matter will be dealt with accordingly. Asked whether clubs will be reimbursed for expenses of the abandoned match,” Mfolo said.
“It is a matter that will be dealt with at a later stage. Like I said it is still an internal matter.”