Wednesday, September 23, 2020

MoE reinstates interdicted employees

The twenty-eight employees of the Ministry of Education, who were recently interdicted on allegations of corruption, have now been reinstated and transferred to other departments.

The employees, who have been on interdiction for the last two months, told The Telegraph that they were served with transfer letters on Monday when they reported for duty. Before that, the ministry had last week instructed them to report for duty on Monday.

The employees, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they were not given any reasons why they were interdicted, or if any disciplinary action will be taken against them.

“Imagine coming to work expecting to be told why we were interdicted in the first place, only to be told that we have been transferred to different departments,” they said.

The employees said they have decided to demand reasons why they were interdicted, and also to ask for the findings of the Directorate of Corruption and Economic Crime investigations.
They also expressed concern that their transfer will affect operations at the Department of Student Placement and Welfare (DSPW).

“Students will miss registration deadlines because new employees will not have enough time to acquaint themselves with administering scholarships,” they said.

The employees were interdicted after government launched investigations into operations at DSPW. It later emerged that there was massive corruption in the awarding of local and international scholarships.

Deputy Permanent Secretary in the MoE, Opelo Makhandlela, was last Friday forced to go on early retirement, and it is widely believed that this has something to do with the chaos at the ministry.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper

The Telegraph September 23

Digital edition of The Telegraph, September 23, 2020.